Become a Fan of Sun Savvy Homes on Facebook!
Sun Savvy Homes FAQ
What do the Sun Savvy Passive Series plans include?
- Five(5) sets of the blueprints including the following pages-
- Site plan (custom drawn for each customer)
- Customer supplied property plat map (e-mail file). Location and orientation of home on property. Special notes as requested.
- The foundation plan
- Detailed information on constructing a Sun Savvy Homes slab on grade thermal mass foundation. All dimensions and locations of interior footings and spot footings.
- In-floor schematics for the solar thermal assisted radiant heat.
- A graphic representation of the pex tubing layout within your slab.
- Zone locations and a diagram to incorporate our exclusive solar thermal in-floor radiant heating system.
- The floor plan with dimensions and opening sizes.
- A completely dimensioned floor plan.
- Location, size, and glazing requirements of windows (passive solar requires different glass in different sides of the Sun Savvy Home.
- Cross section, and elevation markers.
- Special notes and details.
- The floor plan with furniture and equipment.
- Describes rooms in text blocks.
- Shows where furniture works best within home.
- The roof plan.
- Parapet location if applicable.
- Pitch of roof, with overhangs identified.
- Material of different sections of roof.
- Cross sections of important parts of the house.
- Cutaways of the home showing important details of a Sun Savvy home.
- Large scale framing diagrams and dimensioned levels.
- Includes a south, west, east, and north elevation of home. (some models may include angled views as required)
- Materials are identified, and level dimensioning is shown.
- Electrical plans
- Suggested locations of outlets, switches and other electrical devices.
- This plan does not include diagrams showing how to run wire. A licensed electrical contractor should always be used to wire a home.
- Three dimensional renderings from at least four perspectives.
- These three dimensional drawings will help you visualize the Sun Savvy Homes and details that make them unique.
- PV (photovoltaic) array technical drawings when applicable
- Per additional charge and as requested.
- 30 page guide to building your Sun Savvy Passive Solar Home.
- Pictures and diagrams showing how to build a Sun Savvy Home, bundled in an easy to use ringed binder.
What does the PDF plan include?
- The PDF on CD includes a digital copy of the complete house plan and a digital copy of the construction guide along with the rights (copyright release) to build one Sun Savvy Home. The PDF on CD does NOT include a custom site plan or any modifications.
How much does it cost to modify a Sun Savvy plan?
- Minor Changes- Such as moving doors, changing opening sizes, rearranging cabinets, non-structural modifications etc.-NO CHARGE.
- Moderate Changes- Such as minor structural modifications, relocating walls, roof modifications, etc.-Call or e-mail for price, generally ranges from $20-$200.
- Major Changes-Let's design your own Sun Savvy Home! Pick a floor plan you like and we'll add the rooms, basement, features, etc. that you want- Prices range from .95 to $1.45 a sq. ft. (call for details)
What does a study set include?
- The study set includes (two) floor plans, elevations, renderings, printed on 11 x 17 sheets (approx. 1/8"=1' scale). The study set will be stamped "study set-do not use for construction". The cost of the study set will be applied towards the purchase of the full set when ready.
Can a Sun Savvy Home produce enough electricity to zero out my electric bill?
- Absolutely! We can help you size a PV array that can supplement or completely pay for your electric bill. A Sun Savvy Home requires a much smaller array to accomplish this than a typical home. Day lighting, passive heating, passive cooling and complete thermal breaks from the outdoor temperature all contribute to less electrical load and a higher level of comfort.
Is a Sun Savvy Home better for my allergies?
- Yes. Our homes are designed to incorporate a whole house HEPA filter system. Every time the bathroom or kitchen vent turns on, the entire house receives fresh HEPA filtered air. This results in a very allergen free environment.
What does the number in the plan name mean?
- The number in the name(for example Solar2159) represents the total living square footage of heated space within the home. This number does not include the SunCourt area, garage area, equipment rooms, patios or other non-heated under roof areas.
What is a SunCourt?
- A SunCourt is an awesome feature of some of our Sun Savvy Homes. These interior courtyards act as a conduit to feed solar energy to the rear portions of the home. However, you would never know these gorgeous features serve a technical purpose! They appear simply as an extension of the living space to the outdoors.
Can I get a building permit with your plans?
- Yes. However, because of the different requirements in different regions of the country, a Sun Savvy House plan set does not include structural information for beams or footings. In some areas this information can be provided by the builder, in other areas they may require a local structural engineer to "wet stamp" the blueprints. Regardless of the requirements, a Sun Savvy House can get a building permit anywhere, but you may need to provide additional structural information to the building department.
I live in a very hot region. I don't need passive solar right?
- Wrong! Passive solar is both for heating and cooling. Sun Savvy Homes are designed to vastly reduce the amount of heat gain experienced in the hot summer months. Sun Savvy homes have windows located in all the right places to keep your home as cool as possible in the summer and as warm as possible in the winter.
The CCR's in my neighborhood don't allow solar to be visible. Can I build a Sun Savvy Home?
- Of course! Many of our Sun Savvy models hide the active solar components from view. For Example, the Solar2167 completely hides all solar panels, and would blend in very well in any high end subdivision. Each Sun Savvy Home is designed to incorporate active solar if desired, but it is not necessary for the passive solar to function. Remember-We are changing the way alternative looks!
Other on-line house plan sites don't include site plans. Why does Sun Savvy Homes?
- We want to make sure your home functions the way it was designed and intended to. Sun Savvy homes need to be oriented in a certain direction. As a result, we want to be involved in placing and orienting your home on site, and we want to help you choose the Sun Savvy model that best suits your property.
I don't have power on my property. Can a Sun Savvy Home be used off-grid?
- Absolutely! Many of our homes feature rooms designed to hold batteries, and all our Sun Savvy Homes are designed to have PV arrays installed on their roofs. We can even design a PV system to fit your needs!
Can a Sun Savvy Home be modified to fit my lifestyle?
- Yes. Kerby can modify an existing plan, or start from scratch to create a Sun Savvy Home that fits you, and the way you want to live.